Welcome to Illinoiscareers.com

Work Closer. Work Happier.

Bill Could Save Illinois Law Enforcement Jobs

Posted on May 6, 2010

A bill on Governor Pat Quinn’s desk could generate enough money to save Illinois law enforcement jobs.

According to Representative Jim Sacia, the bill would allow Illinois State Police to get a portion of fines assessed when someone pleads guilty and pays a traffic ticket written by their troopers.

Currently, 44% of the fine you pay goes to the county or municipality in which the ticket is issued. Out of the remaining 56%, an administrative fee is paid to the Circuit Clerk. ISP does not get any of that money. The bill would make sure ISP gets a portion equal to the amount the Circuit Clerk is getting.

13 News spoke earlier in the day with two other legislators that were confused about where the money was coming from and where it would go.

Sacia says the money now generated for ISP will go to save 464 Illinois jobs and keep several district headquarters facilities open, including District 16 headquarters in Pecatonica.

The bill passed the Senate and the House and just needs Governor Quinn to sign it into law.

In March, Illinois State Police announced job cuts and plans to close facilities because of the state budget crisis.

Overall, Illinois employers announced plans to cut 1,413 jobs in April, a major improvement over the 10,329 that were announced in March amid sharp cuts from school systems.

The number was also down more than threefold from a year earlier, when 4,915 cuts were announced, according to the latest report from Chicago-based outplacement firm Challenger, Gray & Christmas.

Nationally, employers announced plans to slash a near four-year low 38,326 jobs. The number was down 43 percent from the 67,611 in March and 71 percent less than the 132,590 announced in April 2009.

The biggest cuts nationally last month were in the government/non-profit sector, which announced plans to shed 14,973 jobs.

Daily Gazette
Forreston
Mt Morris
Oregon
Polo
Prairie Advocate
Telegraph
Putnam
Tonica